2013 - 2014
FIU Global Indigenous Studies
Version of April 14, 2014
- Aug 2013. Founded Global Indigenous Group, GIG. Student club recognized by the Council of Student Organizations. President Dennika Mays.
- Aug 25. GIG table at Presidential Convocation reception.
- Sept 7. Indigenous Celebration – 7:00 to 10:00 PM. Grand Ball room. Dance, Storytelling, Music, and environmental awareness. Organized by GIG President Dennika Mays and Dennis Wiedman.
- Sept 13: Professor Juliet Erazo. “Governing Indigenous Territories.” GSS Graduate Colloquium. Department of Global and Sociocultural Studies.
- September 30 Assistant Film Producer, Tara Damron, of the Osage Nation, and the Oklahoma Historical Society speaks via skype on the film Unconquered: Allan Houser and the Legacy of the One Apache Family.” Wiedman’s Anthropology Through Film course. Green Library 523.
- Oct 22. Houston Cypress: “Indigenous Cinema Today,” at Wiedman’s Anthropology through Film course. Green Library 523. GIG Sponsored.
- Nov 8: Jamie Choclote, Peruvian Artist. Show at Frost Art museum and painted mural at BBC library. Organized by Jim Riach. GIG Sponsored.
- Nov 26. Sam Tommie – Presentation of three Short Films with Seminole Film Maker Sam Tommie “Fire Spirit,” Our Future” and “Creator’s Hands.” Wiedman’s Anthropology through Film class. Green Library 524. GIG Sponsored.
- Feb 14, 2014: Dennika Mays and Dennis Wiedman at Tequesta Circles preservation meeting at Miami City Hall. Dennika spoke as a community member.
- Feb 28: FIU Law School Symposium “From War and Removal to Resurgence: The Legal and Political History of Florida Tribal Governments.” Law Building. Organized by Professor Alexander Pearl.
- March 4. Mary Lou Pfeiffer. Speaks on Miami Circle and Met Square Tequesta Circles. Wiedman’s American Indian Ethnology class. Green Library 100A. GIG Sponsored.
- April 1. Dr. Jim Riach. Indigenous Rights in the Peruvian Amazon. Wiedman’s American Indian Ethnology Class. Green Library 100a. GIG Sponsored.
- April 10: Lee Tiger. “Tiger Tiger: Freedom Tour of the Americas. A Tribute to my Father Buffalo Tiger.” Wiedman’s American Indian Ethnology Class. Green Library 100A. GIG Sponsored.